Power surges at home can cause expensive damage to devices, electronics and appliances plugged into any outlet. You might notice a severe surge that causes major destruction, but you may not even be aware of many small surges that last a microsecond or less. They can cause damage that adds up over time.
In either case, the harm that power surges cause to computers, major appliances and pricey TVs can be costly. Here we’ll explain power surges and how to prevent high-voltage surges in your home.
An unexpected increase in voltage racing through the electrical circuits in your home is called a power surge. Normal voltage in most homes is 120 volts, with peaks up to 169 volts. During a power surge, the voltage rate suddenly jumps dramatically. This rapid intensification of voltage pushes too much electricity through your system and into all devices connected to it — even if they’re turned off.
Many people associate power surges with natural events, like a lightning strike. But how power surges happen can vary. Here are some of the most common power surge causes:
Bringing an even and dependable flow of electricity to your home involves a complex system of generators, lines, transformers, monitoring points and circuits — each being a potential site of power surges at home. A malfunction at any point in the system can cause voltage to jump to hundreds and even thousands of volts. The surge can last a fraction of a second but still cause plenty of damage. Most appliances and electronic devices are not designed to handle high voltage, even for a microsecond.
Just as important as understanding what causes power surges at home is knowing how to prevent power surges — and, more to the point, prevent high-voltage surges from damaging expensive devices. While some kinds of power surges are impossible to prevent, you can protect yourself from the damage they cause.
One of the easiest and least expensive ways to deal with power surges at home is to plug expensive computers, televisions and appliances into a surge protector. While they won’t provide protection from the millions of volts that come from lightning strikes, these specialized power strips can provide protection against the built-up damage from the frequent lower-voltage surges that are all too common.
If you’re looking for how to protect your home from power surges, a whole-home surge protection system can often pay for itself. Unlike surge protectors used for individual devices, these heavy-duty surge protection systems install on your main electrical panel and protect your entire home. They direct surges of electricity — even massive bursts from lightning — into the ground where they dissipate harmlessly. For best protection, use a whole-home surge protection system to protect your home from external surge sources, along with surge protector power strips for key devices to guard against internally caused surges.
While lightning strikes near enough to damage your electrical devices are rare, the effects are devastating and dangerous. Here’s an easy strategy for how to protect your home from power surges when a storm is in your area: Simply unplug major devices, including appliances, televisions and computers. Whole-home or power strip surge protectors can help keep your electrical devices safe. But the best protection is to disconnect. Unplugging should definitely be on your hurricane checklist.
Faulty wiring is more than a common cause of house fires — it’s one of the main power surge causes. If you have an older home, get a full-house electrical inspection. It could turn up dangers such as old cloth-wrapped wires, brittle insulation or wires not rated for the demands of today’s devices. If you have discovered rodents in your home, get your wiring inspected. It’s not uncommon for rodents to sharpen their teeth on wiring or to build nests of flammable materials within electrical junction boxes.
Avoid plugging too many power-hungry devices into the same outlet. They could overload your electrical system. You can give your devices a measure of protection if you avoid having too many large appliances in the same outlet or nearby outlets served by the same circuit breaker. Too much demand on the circuit can overheat the lines and cause fluctuations in voltage that can wreak havoc on devices.
Some power surges are unmistakable. Others are more subtle. Knowing how to detect a surge is an important item on most lists of electrical safety tips. Here are signs that your home may have experienced a power surge:
Knowing what to do after a power surge can prevent inconvenience and further damage and costs. After you report a power outage, you should do a quick check of potential surge damage in your home.
Most homes will experience a power surge at some point. They often cause little to no noticeable damage to most devices, but it still makes sense to prevent harm to your most expensive electronics. Stopping power surges at home can save you the cost and inconvenience of repairs and extend the life of your appliances and devices.
Whatever your energy needs, we've got a plan for you
The unplugging-appliances-to-save-energy myth is actually not a myth at all. If you’re wondering whether unplugging appliances saves electricity, here are some answers.